These pages are regularly updated, please select here to view the latest version.
The Marlow Society is a registered charity whose efforts are devoted to the preservation and development of Marlow and the surrounding villages and countryside.
We seek to represent all those who enjoy living in, working in, shopping or just visiting our beautiful town situated on the banks of the River Thames, in the foothills of the Chilterns Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
We are a large society in comparison to similar Civic Societies. Our membership continues to grow, mainly by personal recommendations and interest aroused by our public events and publications. If you know of someone who may be interested in joining, please either direct them to the Membership page of this Web site or any of the Officers or Committee members.
We were formed in 1958 as the Marlow Bridge Preservation Society whose purpose was to prevent the 1832 suspension bridge from being dismantled and replaced by a modern structure. The Marlow Bridge Preservation Society became The Marlow Society in 1960.
The Society has continued to take a great interest in the bridge and the pressure it exerted locally helped to ensure that the local authorities responsible carried out the recent extensive renovation and maintenance work. Although this is something which we think is very important we are far from being a 'single issue' organisation.
Our efforts are directed to the preservation and development of Marlow and the surrounding villages and countryside as a whole.